In this post I will point you to some of the best books of Ruby on Rails. If you’re newbie to ruby programming language then, It is always better to start with learning the language and then move onto rails framework. If you know any other programming language like Python, Java and PHP then you’ll pick up the pace much quickly. Let’s check some good books on ruby and rails framework.
Ruby Language Books
- The Ruby Programming Language – By David Flanagan, Yukihiro Matsumoto – This book is from the maker of ruby programming language. It is written in clear and concise language. If you have no programming experience, then this is the ruby book you should get your hands on. It is very easy to read and has plenty of examples for some of the advanced concepts.
- The Well-Grounded Rubyist by David A. Black David laid out some good ruby learning pattern in this book. It takes you from the novice to proficient programmer stage. Lots of cool examples and theory to read in this book.
- Programming Ruby 1.9 : The Pragmatic Programmers’ Guide – A book from pragmatic publishers, like most of their books this also has some effective tips and tricks into it. It also does a good job of explaining ruby to a novice and then makes other concepts easy to understand as well.
Ruby on Rails Books
For those who are new to rails framework, some of these books will surely come in handy.
- Agile Web Development with Rails (4th edition) by Sam Ruby – Once you learn ruby then read this book for quickly getting off the ground with the rails. Rails is very easy to learn and this book will teach you some good practices to learn rails in short time.
- Rails 3 in Action by Ryan Bigg and Yehuda Katz – This book takes small step of starting with web app and then covers a lot more intermediate concepts. You’ll learn how to write tests carefully and how to use gems in your web application without breaking it. You’ll also learn about Cucumber and RSpec.
- The Rails View – Another good book on rails. It has some good tips and best rails practices for you to read. If you’re building web app while reading these books then you’ll surely appreciate some of the tips from the rails view book.
- Crafting Rails Application by Jose Valim – A bit advanced for the novice rails developer but this should be in your reading list. As this book teaches you some very good concepts related to the tests and the deployment methods.