In this post, you’ll find some ideas for the positive and negative test cases. Depending on the design of the ATM terminal, following positive and negative test cases can be formed. If you’re familiar with the banks terminal, you may notice that there are always more test cases that you can check for and verify if the software functions as expected. The more you know about any banks ATM terminal, the more you can write in your test cases. You can also take a walk outside and check out the functionality of your debit card in nearby ATM.
Note: ATM Test cases may vary from one bank to another due to the way these terminals are designed. Also each bank has it’s own way to handle the sequence in which cash is being taken out. For example, some banks require additional PIN entry before the cash is taken out for extra layer of security. Some banks don’t allow free withdrawal from other banks ATM etc. However, the fuctionality for some of the ATM machine can be visualized in general. In this post, I’m assuming a lot of functionality of ATM which you may or may not notice for your bank.
Positive Test Cases
- Machine accepts card and PIN detail.
- Machine successfully takes out the money.
- Machine takes out the balance printout after the withdrawal.
- Machine logs out of the client session immediately after withdrawal successfully.
- Machine prints out balance inquiry standalone as part of menu operation.
- Machine generates invalid money error due to money asked larger than the savings account balance.
- Machine checks for the idle time in between the client session and wait period while active in account.
- Machine accepts both Visa and Mastercard credit and debit cards.
Negative Test Cases
- Machine does not accept card and PIN.
- Machine finds wrong PIN.
- Machine finds card insertion in wrong way.
- Machine takes 3 invalid PIN attempt.
- Invalid account type selected in the menu.
- Lack of money in the savings account.
- Expired card inserted in the machine.
- Money amount less than 100 entered in the machine.
- Machine does not take out the money.
- Machine can’t take out the balance after withdrawal.
- Machine can’t log out of client session after withdrawal.
- Machine doesn’t print the withdrawal amount.
- Machine does not accept either Visa or mastercard or both debit/credit cards.
As you can see we have a lot of positive and negative test cases in case of ATM machine. You can extend the test cases depending on the requirement document and specification as per the bank or the card type. You may even add test cases for credit card and other gift card based operations. You may also have to add few more security related test cases.