In this post, you’ll learn about library management system test cases. The library manager system under test is – rider library management system (hosted on sourceforge). It is very simple and effective system for management of library users and the books. It has the features that you can expect from most of the competitive library systems. It is also free of cost to download the software. So you can download and start testing the software manually for the bugs. You can also report the errors to the owner, and this will in turn help the development of the software. The application under test – ‘rider library system’ is written using Java Swing. So the test cases can be added specific to the programming language.
What are the requirements of library management system?
- User able to register and login.
- User can search the added books, and check in or out.
- User can pay the fine or extend the duration of borrowed period.
- User can change the password and other profile details.
- User can add the books.
- User can place the holds and modify existing holds.
- User can manage the inventory of the books.
These are some of the common features expected from the library management system. So you now have some test scenarios to check for. In addition to these test scenarios, you have GUI based software to check for the bugs, usability and functionality.
Testing Login of Library System
As you can see the screenshot of the application, you’re presented with the login screen. This page has feature to add username and password. It also has the links to request username and password if the user has forgotten it.
- Check if the username field accepts valid username and password field accepts valid password.
- Check if the wrong username and valid password allows access to any specific account.
- Check if the valid username and wrong password allows access to any specific account.
- Check if the forgot username link leads to username recovery page.
- Check if the forgot password link leads to the password recovery page.
- Check if the invalid username and password triggers any warning.
- Check if the invalid credentials open the random account.
- Check if the user is logged in, allows you to logout by using the link at the bottom of the application.
- Check if the logout link function as expected.
Testing User Management
The screenshot below shows the member tab where you can add or modify the existing users. You can also check the transactions of the member and also search for the member. Please check the screenshot below for more information.
- Check if the member can be searched using the firstname or lastname.
- Check if the member transactions are updated.
- Check if the member transactions are shown in the table with sorted column information.
- Check if the user data can be modified if you are admin.
- Check if the new user is possible to add into the system using members tab.
- Check if the password can be reseted in this tab.
- Check if the user can be removed using delete member feature.
Testing Search system of Library
Search system should allow you to search for either member profiles or books. The tabs should let you choose between the user and book. Please check the screenshot below for the options regarding the library management’s search system.
- Check if the search function allows searching of books as per title, ISBN, author, genre or all of the criteria.
- Check if the search filter exists as per – books, cds, magazines, videos and software or all of them.
- Check if the search filter has categories feature.
- Check if the search system has the table for listing the search results.
- Check if the search system has either enter button functionality or ‘magnify” glass button to perform search query.
- Check if the search system has profile searching filter and categories options.
- Check if the profile search has the results listed as table with profile information containing member info.
Testing Library Resources Inventory
Library has the resources system where you can either search for the books available or you can add or remove the books in the system. This tab should have the resources like books, magazines, courseware, CDs or other resources. Check the screenshot below for more visual information.
- Check if the resources can be searched using the search feature.
- Check if you can add the resource using type, and other categorized information.
- Check if the resources can be searched using barcode or the category title.
- Check if you can modify or edit the resource.
- Check if you can save the resource information.
- Check if you can add copy information for the resource.
- Check if you can add category for the resource.
- Check each field for the limit of the text fields and also valid input for the form.
You can create many test cases for each text field and also for each options buttons and links. I hope that the scenarios given can help you form as many test cases as possible. I have listed some of the common test scenarios and cases which you can use immediately. If your interviewer or the examiner didn’t mentioned any specific software then you can use this post as guideline for the typical library management system to formulate your test cases.
I hope the above information helps. If you have any other questions or suggestion regarding this post or want to see some test cases to be covered in future posts then do let me know. I’d appreciate if you share the post on facebook or twitter. 🙂