Test cases for notepad are asked in many testing interviews. Depending on your level of experience, you’ll be asked feature specific test cases for notepad. Depending on the operating system you use, the notepad application will have different features and some additional or less features.
Let’s assume the noteapp application that we are going to test here is windows based “Notepad”. It has following options: create new file, save the file, save file with different extension, word wrap, copy, paste, delete and exit.
Generic Test Cases for Notepad
- Check if the data is saved after writing to the file.
- Check the functionality for the save as file.
- Check if the notepad allows same file name in the same file path.
- Check if the edits to the file are saved.
- Check the functionality of the close, maximize and minimize buttons.
- Check if the window for notepad can be re-sized.
- Check the default size of the notepad is based on last saved window size.
- Check if the clearing system cache has any difference in the size of the notepad window after you open any file.
These were some of the common test cases but if you want to go application specific test cases then you have to check each item in menu.
Test Case for New File Option
- Create a new file using CTRL+N hotkey.
- Create a new file using File> New menu option.
- Create a new file using Windows Icon+ Menu > Accessories > Notepad.
Test Case for Undo Option
- Click on Undo option in Edit Menu.
- Use CTRL+Z hotkey to undo the text changes.
Test Case for Cut Option
- Click on Cut option in Edit Menu
- Use CTRL+C hotkey to cut the text selected.
- Use cut option in edit menu without selecting any text.
- Use CTRL+C hotkey without selecting text.
Test Case for Paste Option
- Click on Paste option in Edit Menu
- Use CTRL+V hotkey to paste the text selected.
- Use Paste option in edit menu without selecting any text.
- Use CTRL+V hotkey without selecting text or area.
Test Cases for Save Option
- Save empty file.
- Save file with maximum text content.
- Save file with less than the maximum allowed to store in a file.
- Save the file on the desktop.
- Save the file with same file name that to of earlier saved file and choose the same file path.
- Save the file with word wrapped and close it to open again after few seconds.
- Save the file without word wrapped and close it to open again after few seconds.
- Save the file from file menu.
- Save the file using CTRL+S hotkey.
- Save the file with ASCII character set.
- Save the file with UTF character set.
- Save the file with multiple enconding character set.
- Save the file with unicode endian character set.
Test Case for Exit Option
- Exit the application by clicking file>exit menu.
- Exit the application by using CTRL+X hotkey menu.
- Exit the application by using ALT+F4 system hotkey.
Some of the other common test cases for cross platform notepad applications :
- Check if the find option exist for the notepad.
- Check if the navigation within text is possible with the arrow keys on keypad.
- Check the default position of the cursor (before, after the saving file).
- Check if the notepad has find and replace functionality.
There are many other test cases that you can come up with for each entry in the menu. Some of the options vary depending on the version of the notepad you are using. I hope that the above test cases are sufficient enough to test the basic functionality of the notepad. Feel free to let me know your suggestions and feedback in the comment section below. 🙂