In this test cases tutorial, we’ll look at Amazon search functionality test cases.
Search functionality of Google search and now amazon search is the most frequently asked interview question. Most likely the search functionality of the e-commerce website is asked in interview of the e-commerce or payment gateway startups. It is tricky to answer the question in the way interviewer wants the answer. So instead of answering this question in the format of interviewers want, let me answer this question in a generic way.
Amazon search functionality can be tested in following ways:
- UI Testing
- Functional Testing
- Boundary Value Testing
- Data Correctness Tests
- Load and Stress Tests
- Search relevance
- Search advanced features
These are some of the tests that you should do with the search functionality. Depending on the type of search engine that is behind, the type of output you get will verified and tested.
For this article, I’m going to list some of the generic test cases for the search functionality.
Please do take a look at the images below to check out functionality of the search box.
Search Box Test Cases
- Does the search box shows search page without any search query?
- What does search page shows if you enter nothing in search box and hit enter or press finder icon?
- What does search box does if the search query is not entered?
- Check if the search box is present or not.
- Check if the search box length is as per the specification.
- Check the length of the query to be added into the search box.
- Check the characters allowed to be entered into the search box.
- Does the search box presents auto suggestions when the query is being typed?
- Does the search box offers typo corrections for the search query?
- Does the search box allows searching with incorrect spellings?
- Check if the amazon page offers default focus at search box or not.
Search History Test Cases
- Does the search history page keeps history of your previously searched products on amazon?
- Does the search history page offers you option to hide the history of previously searched products?
- Does the search history page offers matching products related to the search keywords?
- Does the search history page allows you to disable tracking the search completely?
- Does disabling search history makes any change to the suggestions offered by search-box?
- Does disabling search history stops certain products being featured?
- Does disabling search history reverts back to the default setting in a new session?
Search Page Test Cases
Please check out the search sidebar for the test cases.
- Does the search page categorizes more options to filter product search?
- Does the search page offers price sorting from low to high?
- Does the search page offers price sorting based on sales rank?
- Does the search page offers price sorting as per the popularity?
- Does the search page offers price sorting as per the brands?
- Does the search page offers product sorting as per reviews?
- Does the search page offers product sorting as per the category?
- Does the search page offers product sorting as per the condition of the product? (New, old, refurbished)
- Does the search page offers product sorting as per the shipping options?
- Does the search page offers sorting as per the sellers?
- Does the search page excludes not available products?
- Does the search page offers alternative if the searched product is not available?
Responsive Test Cases
- Does the search box appears on mobile?
- Does the search box suggestions appear on mobile or tablet?
- Does the search box offers category selector on mobile or tablet?
- Does the search box offers drop-down menu on smaller devices?
These are some of the generic test cases that I have managed to jott down in short time. You can check the official website of the amazon and get more test cases. If you have any suggestions or any other missing test cases to share, then please comment below. I’d appreciate the feedback. Also do share this website with your friends if you found the test cases helpful.